| Site Map |

History of St Joseph's

  • c.1851 Present Church land donated by Commodore Winder.
  • pre-1883 Catholic school, lay-staffed, in Church/School.
  • 1883 Sisters of St Joseph arrived: classes in Convent-school, then (from early December back in church.
  • 1884 Sisters moved into building on property purchased from Mrs R Doyle and adjoining Church of England, the property having been extended east by further purchase in 1886.
  • 1893 Built and moved into present Convent, among other reason, to make the 1884 convent (on site of present music rooms) available for the growing number of boarders.
  • 1900 Wooden School erected by Fr McCormack at western boundary of convent grounds.
  • 1905 Lochinvar became separate parish, with Fr McCormack as Rector.
  • 1911 One story brick school erected by Fr McCormack (3 classrooms/stage) (= ground floor of present school wing closest to the Highway).
  • 1915 School registered as Intermediate School.
  • 1921 School fully registered under Bursary Endowment Act.
  • 1933 Second storey added to original brick building to house secondary students. Financed by the Sisters with the help of donations from ex-students and other benefactors.
  • 1956 Extensions to secondary accommodation at the cost of 70 000 pounds; financed by the Congregation.
  • 1966 Addition of Year 10 - Year 12 wing at cost of approximately $120 000; financed by the Congregation. Primary classes moved from original brick building to northern section of these extensions (3 Primary classrooms and Infants room)
  • 1971-72 Extensions costing $355 400 financed by the Congregation with the help of $61 623 in Government Library grants and $40 880 in Science Grants. These extensions included a Primary section consisting of 5 classrooms, a small staffroom and library, built at contract price of $87 984. It was understood that, when Primary school was re-sited, these rooms would be used for the Secondary School.
  • Mid 1970's When the Congregation agreed that the Secondary School would be systemic, the Diocese took over the responsibility for the management of recurrent and capital funding.
  • 1990 First Lay Principal: Mrs Helene Hemphill.
  • 1992 All Saints College established.
  • St Joseph's Campus becomes Co educational.
  • Last year of Year 12 Students
  • 1993 Last year of Boarders.
  • First School Certificate Co education Classes graduate from ASC St Joseph's Campus
  • 1995 Mr Michael Healy appointed first male Principal of ASC St Joseph's Campus.
  • 1998 Sr Agnes Hopper passed away.
  • 2005 Mr Peter Hamill appointed as Principal
  • 2006 Mr Paul Greaves appointed as Principal